43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

Thursday 17 February 2011

Front Cover Photography - During Production


Some photography shots I have taken myself, of featuring bands or artists of my magazine. All 3 shots are live shots from concerts I have been to, which have been taken on an SLR camera. The top two are medium close ups of lead singers, from All Time Low, The Blackout and Elliot Minor. I decided to use these photographs as they represent the live and reality of a band within the rock/Independent genre of music, which I aim to recreate within my magazine. Also, from my research, this is a popular method and feature that is used in magazines such as Q, NME, Rocksound and Kerrang!
Live Model: Sean Smith
Live Model: Alex Gaskarth

Live Model : Alex Davies and Ed Hetherton
Main photography analysis:
The image below is the image I decided to use for the main image of my front cover. I decided to use this image as it follows the conventions of photography that popular magazines of my genre use. It is a medium close up of my three models, which are a featured band of my magazine. It also conforms to stereotypes with using a lead female singer, by positioning her center, with direct address to the reader. This engages the reader to feel the photograph was taken for them. The two male models behind are positioned in a triadic structure, which exhibits them as less dominant as the female. 
Model: Josh Wallace, Jenny Lee, George Sweeton

The image below is a landscape medium close of up the same models. I decided I couldn't use this image for my front cover as it is the wrong orientation and would not fit comfortably onto my cover of my magazine. Also, on this image, my two male models are further spaced out, which contradicts stereotypes for bands being 'close and dependant' on one another, of this genre. 

The image below is a single medium close up shot of the lead female singer from my featuring band. Although this image conforms to stereotypes of dominant femininity within bands that fall into this genre, I decided not to use this image for my front cover, as I felt it dis-regards and ignores the other members. Also, from my research, I was un-succesful in finding a front cover example from either Kerrang! or Rocksound that featured just the lead female singer on the front cover, if done so, it would be a male lead singer instead. 
Model : Jenny Lee


During production on Front Cover on Photoshop


For my front cover, I have used a medium close up shot of a featuring band, 'We Came To Party' - which I created myself, for my main image. The image features a lead female singer and two male members. With the positioning, I have placed her in front of the two males, which reinforced dominant ideologies about lead singers being overpowering, most popular and in the limelight. Her long flowing red hair also stands out and looks alarming, which jumps of the page at the readers. This also connotates a passion for music, along with danger and angst, which is a popular and stereotypical for the rock/independent genre of music. Her costume also contrasts with this, following a very/rock independent costume of checkered shirts and black printed shirts underneath. For the two males, they are placed in a pyramid structure behind her, promoting her status over them. Their facial expressions exhibit an professional and serious tone to the photography, which sets the tone of the band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment