43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

Thursday 3 February 2011

Model Costume, Make Up and Props

Costume and Make Up Research

The images above are of three different artists/bands that fall into the same genre of music my magazine is, usually being featured in similar magazines such as the one I am creating. From their costume, it is apparent that brightly coloured print t shirts are appealing and an necessity in photography, which attract the attention of the audience and make the image looking exciting and fresh. Along with this, if there is a female lead singer of the band, she is usually dressed in binary opposition colours, such as black and white or red which contrast with the other members brightly coloured clothing. As I intend to feature a front female lead on my magazine front cover, I will use this technique to reinforce ideologies of a traditional front lead rolls of an independent rock band. 
For my model's make up, I have researched types of make up female lead singers would wear during a photoshoot. From my findings, bright contrasting eye shadow is popular, which reflects a vibrant and young appearance of the model. The image below is an example of this, which shows a green, blue and black colour pallet of eye shadow, which stand out and look alarming to the eye.  For the hair, brightly tones like : red, yellow/blonde, ginger and pink are a popular hair colour choice, which once again reflect a young vibrant image of the featured band and models. Fortunately, I have been able to find 2 female models who fit this pattern, one with red hair and another with yellow/blonde hair. Therefor, I can apply this technique into creating a stereotypical image of my models as an 'rock/independent' band. 

Above is an image showing myself applying make up to my model. I decided to conform to traditional and stereotypical examples of my chosen genre of music, and applied bright and alarming eye make up, which stands out to the audience. Also, another image shows me straitening my models hair, which after my research, showed to be a popular hairstyle for females in this genre.
To the side are some images of my main female model in her costume, which I will use for my double page spread. The outfit conforms to a dark, sullen tone which is a stereotype of this genre of music, along with a purple and black striped top which adds a slight hint of vibrance and colour to the outfit. The short skirt also suggests the models female sexual perogity, which will appeal to a young male audience.

The image above shows the costume I used on my male model, George. From my research, I found that brightly colored printed T Shirts, Chequred shirts, blacks, whites, reds, blues and most block colours were popular, along with black/grey/dark blue skinny jeans, for males. From this, I decided to dress George in a bright colored chequered shirt, with a black top - which acts as an binary opposition with the white in the shirt. Also, these colours fit my colour scheme for my magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment